Monday, February 11, 2008

Sick of being sick

I have been sick for a month now and I am completely and totally TIRED of it! I'm ready to get back to normal. Good news is that I am feeling better all the time so at least things are moving in the right direction.
I have spent more time in the doctor's office in the last 4 weeks than in the entire rest of my life. My primary care doctor says that I am "very interesting, medically". I'm sure she'd find me very interesting otherwise if she got to know me, but that's not her job. :)
My diagnosis (still tentative, but looking better every day) is Adult Still's Disease. They put me in the hospital initially because they thought I had an infection but gallons of bloodwork showed no such thing and 2 days of antibiotics had no effect on my symptoms (although it cleared up my acne nicely). So they put me on the steriod Prednisone and within a couple of hours I could bend my fingers again, my rash improved and I my fever never spiked again. So whatever I have, it is nicely controled by the medication.
So I still have lingering joint pain and stiffness - especially in the mornings - but I am doing better. My next step is to get OFF the Prednisone. Its wonderful that it makes me feel better, but it also stops me from sleeping, makes me eat A LOT, makes me depressed, anxious and occasionally MEAN. I'm also very puffy-looking which I don't like. My doctor has me reducing the dosage by 10 mg a week since I guess this isn't a drug you want to stop suddenly. I'm down from 60 to 50 mg and still feeling okay physically but not seeing any change otherwise. I've read that a lot of people feel less 'roid rage-y once they get under 40 mg so I'm looking forward to feeling like myself again in a couple more weeks.
So that why I haven't been posting much lately. Hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things soon!

No comments: