Saturday, July 22, 2006

Zachary's Birth Story - Part Two

At The Hosptial

Since our hospital is almost 40 minutes away and you have to cross a drawbridge and go through a long tunnel to get there, we were hoping that we wouldn't have to go to the hospital at rush hour. The previous week I went to a orientation class down there at 6pm and it took me almost an hour and a half to get there. We were relieved that it was going to be an easy drive so late at night....NOT! There was construction in the tunnel. Or, more accurately, construction workers standing around doing NOTHING in the tunnel. Another hour and a half later we got to the hospital.

It didn't look too crowded - just two other ladies in the waiting room. I filled out my triage questionnaire and was told that they would call me "in a few minutes". They have a very loose definition of "few". The contractions were getting stronger and stronger. I had stopped timing them - I had no doubt that this was for real. Jon and I walked up and down the hallway until we were called back after midnight.We were taken to a triage room to be hooked up to a fetal monitor and for a cervix check.

The nurses seemed very skeptical about me being in labor. I told them that contractions had been about 4 minutes apart since around 8. I told them that I had been 3 cm dilated the previous Friday. And they still seemed very surprised that I was dilated to 8 cm! "Well, it looks like we're keeping you", the nurse said. Darn right! They were so sure that they were sending me home that they had never even given me a hospital gown. It wasn't until after I'd been hooked up to monitors and an IV that they gave me one. And its very hard to undress with all of the wires and tubes!

We finally got moved into our waiting room after 1am. They unhooked my IV at my request after giving me some fluids. I talked to the anesthesiologist and told him that I planned to do with out pain medication. We met our nurse and gave her our birth plan. She seemed agreeable to it. Then she told us that her other patient was having a hard time and that she would probably be with her a lot of the time. That was fine with us. The fewer interruptions the better.
Then we waited.

Coming soon...Part 3: Birth!

No comments: