Thursday, December 14, 2006
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
- Zach now weighs over 16 lbs. That makes him (a) in the 60% percentile for his age, (b) about the same size Morgan was at 9 months, and (c) on pace to outgrow his infant car seat by Valentines Day.
- He can nearly sit up without support. He balances for about 30 seconds (or long enough to snap 9 pictures) before toppling backwards or collapsing forward on himself. See pictures below.
- Zach is now able to get revenge on Morgan for 5 months of abuse. He pulls hair. Hard.
- He's decided that predictable sleep patterns are for suckers - and Zach's no sucker!
- Zach had his first Thanksgiving this month and decided that Thanksgiving is kind of lame when you don't eat solid food.
- Zach went on his 3rd plane trip this month. He's quite the jetsetter.
- Zach got to go to Aunt Beth & Uncle Todd's wedding. He even got to go with all the bridesmaids to get manicures & pedicures and stayed in a hotel with us the night before the wedding.
- We thought Zach got his first tooth this month. It disappeared about a week after it appeared so I guess it wasn't a tooth after all.
- Zach loves toys now. And not just to chew on. He actually plays with them the way they were intended to be played with. He shakes shakey toys, pulls on pully toys, scrunches scrunchy toys, squeezes squeezy toys, etc. Its very cute.
Next up is month 6 - with Zach's first christmas and a road trip to San Diego. Should be fun!
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Mom: Morgan, eat your turkey. It wants to go to the party in your tummy with its friend Mashed Potatoes.
Morgan: Have fun at the party, Turkey.
Mom: Eat your aspargus. It wants to go to the party too. Listen
Asparagus: Morgan, pleeese let me go to the party. All of my friends are there.
Morgan: reacing out to touch Asparagus, in a sad voice; But I don't like you.
Before a nap
Morgan: Read me another story.
Mom: I'll tell you a joke instead. Why did the chicken cross the road?
Mom: To get to the other side!
Mom: Of the road.
Morgan, looking out the window: I can't see it.
Mom: Its not really there. Its just a joke.
Morgan: Oh. Is it a big chicken?
Mom: Maybe. Its more of a hypothetical chicken.
Morgan: Why chicken cross the road?
Mom: To get to the other side!
Morgan: I wanna see the chicken!
Mom: There is no chicken. It was just a joke. Sorry.
Morgan: I need a chicken now!
Mom: I guess my joke wasn't very funny.
Morgan: No. When can I see the chicken?
Morgan: Daddy, play with me!
Dad: What do you want to play?
Morgan: Play purses with me.
Dad: Ummm, can we play something else? I don't feel like playing purses.
Morgan: Okay, lets play ball. Come in my room.
Dad: Okay. Why are you shutting the door?
Morgan: Door needs be shut.
Dad: Okay, where's the ball.
Morgan: Now we play purses!
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
And here is your funny Zach face of the day!
Saturday, November 25, 2006
By the time the wedding started Morgan had calmed down and cheered up. She considered walking down the aisle with Grandma & Grandpa, but Abby convinced her to wait. Abby can get Morgan to do just about anything. I wish we could have brought Abby home with us!
So Morgan walked down the aisle with me and Abby holding her hands. She only stopped two or three times to cover her face because, of course, there was a photographer taking pictures. And she was really pretty well behaved during the ceremony. She only had to take one potty break. And she covered her ears everytime the music started. And she did call out "HI MADELYNNE & MEGAN!!!" when she spotted two more of her cousins in the crowd. It was pretty cute - and only a little disruptive!
After the wedding it was time for more pictures. We weren't even going to try to make Morgan be in them, but then Jon got the great idea to use reverse psychology. "Don't smile" he told her. "Don't be in the pictures." And she would run right up to the front and pose for a split second before squealing and running back. I'm sure the photographer never thought he'd be shooting so much action at a wedding. Our camera wasn't quick enough to capture Morgan with the rest of the wedding party, but these pictures give some idea of how much fun she was having at this point.
Finally, some scenes from the reception. Morgan with her "champagne". Dancing with Daddy. And a really bad family photo.
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
The adventure started Friday afternoon at the rehearsal. Morgan was very excited to meet her 8-year-old cousin (my cousin, actually) and co-flowergirl, Abby. And she was thrilled at we let her wear her white flowergirl shoes to practice in. But when we walked into the church Morgan looked to the left, then the right, then let out a blood-curldling shriek. I can't say I completely blame her. The church is kind of scary with the stained glass, heavy pews and shiny gold...structure up in front. I thought that might have been the end of it right there, but after some holy water (holy water makes you brave) and a chat with her new best friend Abby, we got her back inside the church and she made it through the rehearsal. Then Morgan got a balloon duck at the rehearsal dinner so she was feeling good.
Maybe she'll do it, everyone said. She seems ready. But I was still skeptical. It just so happens that two of Morgan's current phobias are photography and live music.
Morgan's participation in the wedding was in doubt up until the moment she was to walk down the aisle. She was fussy and uncooperative all morning. She cried when we tried to put her dress on and cried when we told her she didn't have to. She would only let Abby brush her hair (thank goodness for Abby) and no one could wipe the breakfast off her face. To make matters worse, her flower basket turned out to be really heavy! Abby solved that problem by agreeing to help Morgan carry the basket and so we wrangled Morgan into her dress and headed outside for some pictures.
To be continued...
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Monday, November 13, 2006
- Zach was the only male at his Aunt Beth's bridal shower. He was a big hit.
- He got to go to Aunt Jewd's birthday party!
- Zach now laughs easily and often.
- We made the big move up to the Bay Area. Zach got to fly on another airplane, live in a hotel for 2 weeks and then live in an empty house to 2 weeks. He is actually the only family member who has slept in the same bed for the last 3 months.
- Zach learned to roll over from his back to his tummy!
- Zach has become a drool machine! If there was some way to make money off of baby drool, we would be incredibly wealthy.
- Zach had his first Halloween and got to go trick or treating with big sister Morgan!
- Much of Zach's free time is now spent sucking on his fingers. He's even learning to suck his thumb. He likes this so much that he sometimes tries to sneak his fingers in his mouth while he's eating. If nothing else, its good incentive for me to keep his fingernails short!
- Zach will occasionally take his fingers out of his mouth long enough to play with his toys. He can grab them now and put them in his mouth. Or, sometimes, bonk himself in the head with them. He doesn't even seem to care that his baby swing has dead batteries as long as we hang lots of fun toys from it.
- Zach has joined a band. See below.
Friday, November 10, 2006
Monday, November 06, 2006
Friday, November 03, 2006
And what was her costume? Well, she thinks it was a butterfly which is what she wanted. All I could find with wings was a fairy princess dress 2 sizes too big that kept falling off. At least she is too young to really care. Oh well, I promise to try harder next year! :-)
We ended up not taking the apartment I blogged about earlier. We found a waaaay better place. It is a townhouse, pretty big, with 3 bedrooms, a 2-car garage, a washer & dryer, and a small yard. It is walking distance to 2 parks (3 if we are ambitious walkers) and best of all just over a mile from Jon's work!
Morgan seems to like it. She picked out her room (which she will eventually share with Zach) and since most of the place is empty she sees it as a giant dance floor. She did tell me that she was sad that the house "had no colors" and that she missed her "red kitchen". We miss it too.
But I'm sure it will look more interesting when we have our furniture and everything.
Here are some pictures.You can see our "minimalist" approach to interior decorating.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
2. Morgan eats too much fast food.
She saw an alarm symbol much like the one pictured here in our hotel's elevator and exclaimed, "There's a Taco Bell in our elevator!"
3. Astronomy lessons should be done in private...
Until your child can distinguish between the words "Venus" and "penis". Morgan is an aspiring astronaut right now so we took a "spacewalk" in her "spacestroller" with "astrozach" and "spacemommy" to look for "planets". We'll skip the 2nd planet from now on.
Friday, October 13, 2006
This month, Zachary:
- Mastered the art of holding his head up.
- Went to his first baseball game.
- Took his first trolley ride.
- Visited SeaWorld.
- Met his Great-Grandparents
- Took his first roadtrip.
- Giggled. (You really have to work to get one out of him, though.)
- Rolled over front to back.
- Started "playing" with his toys by batting at them with his hands.
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Monday, September 25, 2006
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Thursday, September 21, 2006
"What happened?" I asked her.
"There's a hole in my mouth!" she announced proudly.
"What do you mean? Where?"
And she shoved her finger down her throat.
Thursday, September 14, 2006
This month, Zachary:
- Moved out of his first house.
- Took his first airplane trip.
- Met the rest of his Grandparents.
- Grew into size 2 diapers.
- Grew out of most of his 0-3 month clothes.
- Went to the beach for the first time.
Zach also had to go for his 2-month well-baby check-up yesterday. He got 4 shots and was a very sad baby all afternoon and evening. He doesn't have the really angry cry like Morgan had (still does!) . Zach has more of a sad, sobbing cry and it make us feel so bad! But he woke up around 10:30pm in a great mood and seems to be feeling better today. The rest of the appointment went well. He is still a big boy - 12 lbs 10oz (75th percentile) and 24 inches (90th percentile).